Worth up to 6.50 credits.
Available Credits: ACPE, AMA, ANCC, CCMC, Attendance
Start Date: December 12, 2016
Expiration Date: December 12, 2018
This activity is designed to meet the educational needs of case managers, nurses, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, physicians and other health care professionals who are interested in learning best practices for optimal patient/benefit management in the areas of: health and wellness; comorbid diseases; complex-medical-condition support; case management; pain management; and utilization management.
This activity consists of recorded presentations from the "10th Annual Medical Director Forum" held in Las Vegas, NV on November 3, 2016.
Topics addressed during these presentations include: the impact of diet and lifestyle on the human condition; the role of telemedicine on health care delivery; ethical issues related to the first human trials; the fight against the opioid addiction epidemic; chronic back pain and migraine management; and health care for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
At the end of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Examine the potential impact of lifestyle behaviors on the growing epidemic of chronic disease
- Identify the root causes of obesity and chronic disease, and note specific programs that show promise in reversing such trends
- State the potential impact of telemedicine on improving health care quality, access, equity and affordability, as well as current challenges being faced with these applications
- Recognize the ethical issues related to the potential clinical introduction of novel reproductive technologies — including when is it acceptable to even consider the use of such technologies, for which patients and for which indications
- List the steps being taken by the administration to escalate the fight against the prescription opioid abuse epidemic, along with the latest in opioid management, including strategies to reduce prescription opioid overdose risk and the newest methodologies for opioid delivery
- Discuss the challenges faced by providers and patients when dealing with pain, specifically related to chronic back pain and migraine management
Click on the presentation title for more information or to view the activity.
Ethics: First Human Trials and Genetic Screening Coverage
Jeffrey P. Kahn, PhD, MPH
Andreas C. Dracopoulos Director
Robert Henry Levi and Ryda Hecht Levi Professor of Bioethics and Public Policy
Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics;
Professor, Department of Health Policy and Management
Bloomberg School of Public Health
Johns Hopkins University
Correct Diagnosis and Optimal Management of Migraines
Robert G. Kaniecki, MD
Director, Headache Center
Chief, Headache Division
Assistant Director, Neurology Residency Training Program
Director, Headache Fellowship Program
Assistant Professor of Neurology, Department of Neurology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Lifestyle Is the Medicine: What's the Spoon?
David L. Katz, MD, MPH, FACPM, FACP, FACLM
Founding Director, Yale University's Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center;
President, American College of Lifestyle Medicine
New Haven, CT
Chronic Back Pain Management: What’s New in Treatment Options for this Population?
Franz J. Macedo, DO
Medical Director, Comprehensive Pain Center
Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Health Care System;
Program Director, Pain Medicine Fellowship
University of Minnesota
The Fight Against the Prescription Opioid Abuse Epidemic
Mark D. Sullivan, MD, PhD
Professor of Psychiatry
Adjunct Professor of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
Adjunct Professor of Bioethics and Humanities
Delivering High Quality, Life-Long Health Care for Individuals With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Lynne Tomasa, MSW, PhD
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Telemedicine: Is This the Next Real Innovation in Health Care Delivery?
Reed V. Tuckson, MD, FACP
Managing Director, Tuckson Health Connections, LLC;
Chairman, Board of Directors, ViTel Net, LLC;
Immediate Past President and Board Member, American Telemedicine Association
Sandy Springs, GA
Method of Participation
There are no fees for participating in or receiving credit for this activity.
For information on applicability and acceptance of continuing education credit for this activity, please consult your professional licensing board.
Participants will receive a certificate upon successful completion of the activity, which includes the following:
- Completing the entire activity
- Completing the Pre- and Post-Activity Assessments, Activity Evaluation, and Application for Certificate of Credit forms
You must be logged into your account to participate in this activity. Get started by clicking “Begin” and viewing the “CE Info”; then follow the prompts at the bottom of the screen. At the end of the activity, you will be able to view, save, or print your certificate of participation. The Area of Practice you indicated in your profile corresponds with your certificate type. A complete listing of all of your activities can be found under “My Account”, “My Activities.”
This activity is provided by OptumHealth Education.
No commercial support was received for this activity.
To view this activity you will need Internet Explorer 7.0+ or Firefox 3.0+ with Windows Media Player 9+, RealPlayer 12+, or Adobe Flash Player 9+. Be sure to disable your pop-up blocking software prior to the beginning of this activity.