The 8th Annual Medical Director Forum will explore successful strategies and innovations in managing large patient populations.
Conference faculty—comprised of nationally recognized clinical practitioners and thought leaders—will focus on the impact of evidence-based guidelines in optimizing clinical outcomes and efficiently delivering quality health care; lessons we are learning from the Ebola outbreak and actions we can take to better deal with these serious infectious diseases; and addressing gaps in the management of chronic/complex and behavioral health conditions.
This year's keynote speaker, Michael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH, will address the critical issues surrounding The Ebola Virus Epidemic in Africa: Where We’ve Been, Where We’re At and Where We’re Going. Dr. Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is a member of the National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine. Dr. Osterholm led investigations into infectious disease outbreaks during his 15 years as state epidemiologist at the Minnesota Department of Health. He is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy and he served as a special advisor to former D.H.H.S. Secretary Tommy Thompson on issues regarding public health preparedness.
After completion of this activity, the participant should be able to:
- Discuss the significant threat of Ebola to Africa and the rest of the world, and the actions we can take to better deal with this serious infectious disease;
- Recognize the importance of timely referral to hospice and the impact this has on promoting the best possible quality of life, and discuss why hospice is underutilized;
- Discuss current research and best-practice standards that offer management strategies for chronic disease areas that include: 1) heart failure; 2) chronic pain; and 3) cancer;
- State effective strategies to empower consumers to improve their quality-of-life and health outcomes; and
- Distinguish appropriate therapies used in the management of mental illness and factors that may improve patient adherence.
This conference has been designed for Optum, UnitedHealthcare, and UnitedHealth Group medical directors, as well as medical directors and other physicians across the country that manage large patient populations and/or their benefits.
Refer to the Continuing Education page for a listing of certifications that have been applied for and/or approved for this conference.
Optum, UnitedHealthcare and UnitedHealth Group Employees
There will be a business update meeting held on Friday, Nov. 7 for UnitedHealth Group attendees.